Thursday 2 July 2009

1 July 2009

On 1 July I shall be presenting the prizes and Guest Speaker in Ely Cathedral for the King's School, Ely

On Monday 6 I shall be recording two Sunday Half Hour programmes for BBC Radio 2 with the choristers of Jesus College, Cambridge.

On Tuesday 7 I shall be broadcasting Daily Service live on BBC Radio 4 with the choristers of Jesus College, Cambridge, and then pre-recording another Daily Service to be transmitted on Monday 13 July

On Friday 17 July I shall be running a choral masterclass at the Southern Cathedrals' Festival in Salisbury with the choristers of Salisbury and Chichester Cathedrals and the Salisbury Cathedral Junior Choir.

I shall be finishing an organ suite for St Chad's Shrewsbury, writing a Grace for Jesus College, Cambridge and a new anthem for a church in St Louis, Missouri.

3 comments:

dulcissime said...

Hi, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the masterclass in St Thomas's.I've been singing the Howard Goodall ever since! I've recently started directing our new church choir. There's about 15 of them (4 men) and most are retired and don't read music. However my mission over the summer is to teach them to read and then we'll try some part-singing. I just wondered if you might have any suggestions for some simple part-music I could teach them to sing for Communion?

Simon Lole said...

Thank you for the kind comments and good luck with your choir! Simple suggestions? well, I would sart with one or two very simple communion hymns and teach them the four parts separately and then put it together...I would suggest you repeat things regularly to start off with just to give them some confidence. Might also be worth looking at some simple Taize chants too....simple communion anthems? Mozart Ave verum is always a winner.....Hilton Lord for thy tender mercy's sake....Tallis If ye Love me.....

dulcissime said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Simon. I was thinking of singing some Taizé chants, but I'll also have a look at the anthems you suggested. I think the Oxford book of flexible anthems looks appropriate for our choir as well, so I'll take a look at some of them. Thanks again.